Meet The Governors

Jim Waterworth

I have been a governor at Beech Hill Primary School since 2011 and I am very pleased to be Chair of Governors. I work within the civil engineering industry and enjoy applying the skills I have as a member of the governing board.  I work with the governors, senior leadership team and teaching staff to:

• Provide the best education for every pupil
  • Provide our pupils the best possible start in life
  • Provide our pupils a safe, secure and supportive environment within school
  • Enable each pupil to enjoy their time in school, to be an individual and develop their characters whilst achieving their full potential

I will work as a member of the management team to continue to develop the school and work towards being an outstanding school.

Gill Wright

I attended Beech Hill Primary School as a child and it holds a special place in my heart. Naturally I wanted my own children to attend and have been regularly involved with school for over a decade. 

Professionally I have worked with families and schools in a variety of roles.  These skills along with my fondness of Beech Hill make it the perfect role to enable me to support the School Leadership Team in ensuring the children of Beech Hill are given the absolute best possible environment and opportunities in which to grow

Joanne Moore

Andrea Banks

My name is Andrea Banks and I have been a governor at the school for 3 years. My first 2 years were as a parent governor before I transferred to co-opted. In September 2018 I was elected vice chair of the governing body and I am also the allocated Maths governor. I work for the Local Authority and for a period worked on the school appeals and the admissions process, which is where my interest to get more involved came from. Being a governor at Beech Hill primary school enables me to support the school in helping the children learn, grow and develop in a safe and secure way, giving them the best start in life.

Susan Atherton

My name is Sue Atherton. I currently work at a local high school as a cover supervisor and I am a Co-opted Governor at Beech Hill School. I chose to take on this role as I wanted to get involved within the community where I live.  I believe that the school is the centre of the community and I want to play a part in helping the school achieve its aims and objectives.  I want to support the school in helping pupils secure their emotional well-being which will enable children to reach their goals, fulfill their potential and look forward to a great future. The pupils spend a lot of time at school, so it’s all about making it a safe and friendly environment in which the children enjoy learning and playing. 

Simon Gregory

I’m Simon Gregory and I work for the Local Authority in a team which supports schools in a variety of ways including school improvement. I have worked within education since leaving university where initially I wanted to become a teacher. With that in mind, I have always wanted to give something back to those who helped me get to where I am today. This was one of my main reasons for becoming a governor along with the fact that I can make a real difference and help change children’s lives for the better. Children are our future, so the best start they can have in life is what is needed.

Michelle McCarthy

I am delighted and proud to serve as Head teacher at Beech Hill.  I began teaching before Everton won their last FA Cup, so a considerable amount of time.   Prior to coming to Wigan, I worked in a variety of schools in Liverpool and London.   As a Governor I welcome the opportunity to work with a dedicated group of people who represent both the parents and wider school community.  As a group of Governors we are ambitious for our children and are dedicated to supporting our school to ensure we continue to develop a community where every individual is valued and enabled to become a confident and successful learner.

Dan Driver

Lynne Marshall

Nicola Whittle

Deborah Turner

Alison Saddington